- 3D model - SMSD‑4.2.pdf
- 3D model - SMSD‑4.2.eprt
- 3D model - SMSD‑4.2.exe
- 3D model - SMSD‑4.2.igs
- Manual SMSD‑4.2.pdf
- Manual brochure formatted SMSD‑4.2.pdf
- Certificate of conformity EMC and LVD directives
- Speed-torque curves with SM5776
- Speed-torque curves with SM8680 - parallel connection
- Speed-torque curves with SM8680 - serial connection
- Connection example for reversive motion in manual mode, without diods
- Connection example for reversive motion in manual mode, with diods
Programmable stepmotor controller SMSD-4.2
We recommend the model SMSD‑4.2RS
The model SMSD‑4.2 is outdated, production discontinued. We recommend using new models instead. Please, check the list of present models here https://smd.ee/stepper-motor-controllers.htm
SMSD‑4.2 is intended for medium size stepper motors, output current is under 4.2 A per motor's phase. The controller provides 5 control modes - real-time control by commands, programmable, analog speed control, STEP/DIR control and A-phase - B-phase pulse position control. Digital I/O of the controller make it easy to use the controller together with other electronics of a system.
The main parameters of programmable stepmotor controller SMSD‑4.2
- Max. current per phase - 4.2 Amp
- Power supply - 12 ‑ 48 VDC
- Microstepping mode - 1, 1/2, 1/4,1/8, 1/16
The control modes of SMSD‑4.2
- Program mode - this mode is widely used for cycle and repetitive actions. The motion algorithm recorded from a PC (USB) to a nonvolatile memory of the controller and afterwards can be executed as per input signal or as per a command from a PC. Please, refer to the user manual for a full list of executing commands. Special software for program assembling and downloading to the controller is provided by our company for free.
- Direct cotrol mode - control stepmotor in real-time mode by commands, set from a computer. The controller execute every command as soon as receive it from a computer. Temporary memory storage and cycles are also possible in this mode. Please, refer to the user manual for a full list of executing commands.
- Analog speed control - manual mode - it is used for smooth speed regulation without PC connection. The motor speed is proportional to analog voltage signal, potentiometer regulation is also possible. Direction and start/stop are controlled by digital inputs.
- Pulse position control STEP/DIR - the standard position control mode, motor speed is proportional to a STEP voltage signals frequency, displacement is proportional to a STEP signals quantity. Rotation direction depends on a voltage level at DIR input.
- Pulse position control A-phase and B-phase 90° different - position control mode with 2-phase control pulse train, A and B phases difference is 90°. Motor speed is proportional to pulses frequency, displacement is proportional to a pulses quantity. Rotation direction depends on a leading phase - A or B.
Digital inputs/outputs of stepmotor controller SMSD‑4.2
- Start/Stop (input, valid for program and analog control modes)
- Reverse (input, valid for program and analog control modes)
- Motion enable (input, valid for program, direct control, analog speed control and pulse position control modes)
- Start zero positioning (input, valid for program control mode)
- "Home" position (input, valid for program control mode)
- Relay (output, valid for program control mode)
- Inp1 and Inp2 - (programmable inputs, valid for program control mode)
Dimensions of programmable stepmotor controller SMSD‑4.2:
Connection example for reversive motion in manual mode, without diods (firmware modification required):
Connection example for reversive motion in manual mode, with diods (firmware modification required):
Speed-torque curve for SMSD‑4.2 with stepper motor SM8680:
X-axis - rotation speed, rpm; Y-axis - torque, kgf*cm
Measurement conditions: microstepping - 1/2, current per phase - 4.2 Amp, serial connection
Please, refer the menu "download materials" at the right side of the page to learn speed-torque curves with other motor models.